Monday, January 14, 2008

hit the ground walking

Well, well, well. Nice kick off.

Alright, time to get organized. I’m going to start listing my vague goals and focus each week on turning them into specific ones:

Family – spending more outdoor time with my daughter, Velina, more face time with my husband, Paul, and connecting more with my family who don’t live in driving distance.
Work – get more organized and efficient
Self – get my creative mojo back on the front burner, getting healthier, get to know Photoshop and Illustrator better, read, exercise my brain more.
Spiritual - reflection and serving

That said, I’ve already worked on some specifics:

For work, at the advice of my friends, I got a Franklin Covey organizer. They told me to leave it open on my desk and start listing all my tasks and add to it as things come up. This is supposed to be in lieu of my current scribble-on-a-Post-It system. Being somewhat of a list person, the satisfaction of crossing stuff off as it’s done is proving very satisfying.

For my health, I’ve hit the gym at least three times a week since January 1. Plus I’m back watching my Weight Watchers points. Though I must confess, I’ve seen myself go overboard on points more than I should. But at least I’m watching them…

For my family—I’ve spent a lot of time with Paul watching all the college bowls and NFL playoffs. Does that count as face time? I’m reminded of some comedian’s astute observation, that often it’s so comforting when you’re just in the same room with your loved ones. He said that even when your dad was napping on the couch on Saturday afternoons, it felt good just to have him there. So true. Some of my favorite time with Velina is snuggled on the couch watching Naruto (I am so hooked), eating popcorn. Heaven.

In an effort to serve the universe, I tried donating blood. I barely flunked the anemia test (I want to say you have to score 12.6 to donate and I tested as 12.5). Maybe I ate too little points that morning. I'll try again in 10 weeks.

Unfortunately, it looks like I put creative mojo on the back burner. I’m going to do something about that right now. I’ll be back. Soon.

2 comments:

Pound said...

i'm kinda lol that you failed the anemia test. like in hs when i couldn't donate cuz of anemia or not enough weight or something LOL.

Anonymous said...

A mother might blame vegetarianism for this...