Sunday, January 20, 2008

Time to get crankin'


Screener copies of these movies with SAG nominations finally arrived. I missed the old days when we were allowed to see the nominated movies in the theater with a SAG card. We were allowed to see them as often as we liked, which came in really handy for movies like "Gosford Park".

Though I haven't even pursued an acting job in years (most of my work was back in New York doing industrials, which are productions for corporate internal audiences, e.g. legal issues, conduct, etc.), I haven't given up my SAG card. Besides the fact that earning this union card can be pretty tough (so sentimentally, I can't just quit it), it was a nice perk to see plenty of SAG nominated films in January. A few years ago, this perk stopped and there was a dry spell where I didn't really see so many movies--they were offering free screenings but they were up in LA on weeknights and I couldn't gamble getting through rush hour traffic in time. Eventually one or two productions companies started sending DVDs or ticket vouchers--pretty awesome considering there are tens of thousands of members. This year we received these 5 DVDs and a ticket voucher for There Will Be Blood. We have to send in our votes by Friday for the SAG Awards show on next Sunday night, so I best get on my couch and get to watchin'. I'll be back with my predictions...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you and I look forward to seeing you at Oasis in a couple of weeks! What fun to get to screen the nominations in the comfort of your own home! Have fun!
-Cheryl

Pound said...

um, gosford park had um, uh, a hot guy. who isn't really all that hot. :P