Friday, January 25, 2008

My predictions

The only awards show (so far) with a WGA waiver is airing on Sunday: the SAG (Screen Actors Guild) Awards--which means we'll finally get some red carpet dazzle. Anyhoo, I watched as many movies as I could cram in the last week and here are my predictions for the predictions in the motion picture category:

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role: Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood) DDL is such an actor's actor and he does not disappoint in this movie. Though as I mentioned previously, there is a chance that Viggo Mortensen will win this award as he is another one of those actors that notoriously walks around in character whether the camera is rolling or not, and you were totally drawn into his Nikolai. My money is on Julie Christie for the Female Lead award. She was outstanding as the wife slowly succumbing to Alzheimers. Javier Bardem will probably walk away with the Male Supporting award. His Anton Chigurh was absolutely chilling with his utter indifference for life and a flattering hairdo. Amazing that this is the same guy who played Reinaldo Acenas in "Before Night Falls". I'm banking on Ruby Dee to win the Female Supporting Award, though there's a chance Catherine Keener might win it for "Into the Wild". And finally, I pick "No Country for Old Men" to win Outstanding Performance by the Cast award.

I've been watching a ton of movies lately so I'll probably share some more opinions soon...

2 comments:

Pound said...

i'm amused that part of bardem's reason for possibly winning is a flattering hairdo :P

StillTrying said...

Ack! No Bardem's cold killer's inability/choice to empathize with humanity is illustrated right down to his indifference to his hairdo, or rather, his hair-don't.