Thursday, October 28, 2010

Anyone else psyched for Halloween?

The girl and I are pretty much set with our costumes. She is going to a Halloween party and Halloween at Five Points and I am competing in my company's annual Halloween costume contest remotely. The reveals will be this weekend!

I had to get purple dye for my costume and some last minute details:


Shoot, I think I've revealed too much--it seems pretty obvious now. Shhhh--don't comment if you figured it out.

On the way to the store after the girl's viola lesson, I got hit with the worst hunger pang. I'm not sure how common this is, but I was getting dizzy, shaky, and sweaty and I could intuit that I needed to eat something fast (mental note: keep a bar in the car). So we ended up stopping at the Krispy Kreme. I told the girl I was getting one doughnut and she could get one for now and (WORST MOM Alert!) one for breakfast. We got seasonal specialties: pumpkin spice for me and Halloween for her:


Where's the pumpkin spice doughnut? Oh, I practically swallowed it whole before remembering to take a picture. And truth be told the Jack-o-Lantern pictured above is actually the fourth doughnut.

I was so ravenous, I was shaking when I ate the pumpkin spice doughnut in, I'm estimating, 4-5 bites. When I looked up the girl was still eating her Jack-o-Lantern doughnut, carefully nibbling around the face.

Is that good? I asked.

Yup.

Is there any filling?

Nope.


...

...

Can I have a bite?


The girl sighed and held out her doughnut, offering me the stem of the Jack-o-Lantern. I ate half the face.

I took that as a sign that I was still hungry. I got up, I'm going to get one of those.

The girl looked up from her demolished Jack-o-Lantern, are we going to share it?

Annoyed hunger kept me honest. Ooooooo, I think I'm going to pretty much eat all of it.

The shocked disappointment on the girl's face woke up the mom inside. Okay you can have a bite. If that seemed stingy or mean, believe me, I was operating on a variant of the old airplane oxygen mask premise--Mama needed to get her doughnut on or no one was getting saved.

I went up to the counter and told the guy I was just getting one doughnut, the Jack-o-Lantern. As he reached for a small box, I'd like to think it was the environmentalist (albeit a ravenous one) in me that snapped, Don't bother with a box! Just hand it to me!

He seemed somewhat bewildered as he extended the clutched doughnut in the waxed paper he used to pick it up from the tray behind the counter. Enlightened at the last second, he plucked a fresh piece of wax paper and laid it on top of the doughnut like an awkward stiff bridal veil for the Jack-o-Lantern.

Whether the cashier witnessed or sensed my impatient hunger, she shouted the price before I got to the register, That will be a dollar and six cents ma'am!

I paid with exact change and had the wherewithal to snap the quick picture above and I ate the doughnut--I even gave the girl two bites.

Now on to finishing my costume...

1 comment:

Pound said...

what a good mom you are... not!!! :P
man i want krispy kreme.