Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ladies night on ESPN2

Tonight we watched the #1 ranked UConn Huskies beat #2 Baylor in a down-to-the-buzzer thriller score of 65-64 in women's basketball. Sure it's exciting to see top teams play, but an interesting significance is that the Huskies are on a winning streak--80 straight wins to be exact. That is currently the longest win streak of any female basketball team in the NCAA and in 8 wins they will tie the men's record currently held by the 1970s UCLA basketball team under the legendary John Wooden. And obviously, in 9 wins they would be the NCAA Div 1 basketball team with the longest win streak, male or female. Very impressive, don't you think? Go Huskies.

After that game was over, the Ohio-Temple football game was on. Though curious to see former Nebraska Huskers coach Frank Solich and his Ohio Bobcats, I was more intrigued because of the booth occupants. Though it's quite common to see women doing sideline reporting, it is very rare to hear a woman call the play-by-plays. I think I remember a game two years ago with Pam Ward calling the game and tonight I heard Beth Mowins for the first time. I hope someone isn't going to try to tell me that only players and coaches can call the play-by-plays. Mike Tirico is fine on MNF and I thought Ms. Mowins was fine as well. Frankly, considering the number of female fans who watch football games, I think it'd be a refreshing to hear more women call the play-by-plays.

Maybe I just need to catch more games on ESPN2...

No comments: