Saturday, November 6, 2010

Momofuku

Another restaurant I've been meaning to try for a while was Momofuku's Noodle Bar. It was another packed restaurant, even at the late lunch hour of 3pm. But my sister and I decided to give it a go.

We enjoyed the beet salad with buttermilk and blood oranges balanced with peppery arugula:


And I LOVED these roasted potatoes with kim chi and a poached egg, topped off with bright scallions:


We were seated pretty close to the prep area and I was fascinated how they prepared their poached eggs--it appears they cooked them in their shells for a (short) period of time and then cracked out a beautiful poached egg. Genius.


If anyone knows what the timing is on this, I would LOVE to know.

I leaned over and asked my sister if she thought these young chefs got propositioned often. She scoffed, you're just saying that because they're surrounded by all these bowls of food!


Man, she knows me so well. I could envision a younger single version of me inquiring what their plans were after their shift ended--well why don't you stop by my place? But make sure you bring ALL THE LEFTOVERS.

My sister had their famous momofuku ramen with pork strap, pork shoulder, poached egg and I had their ginger scallion noodles. The ramen was excellent with a wonderfully smoky edge to the broth. My ginger scallion noodles were also good, though quite salty especially with all the pickled vegetables.


For dessert, we had their apple pie cake truffles:


A bit rich, but delicious. Next time, I think I'll head to their Milk Bar for dessert.

No comments: